Friday 15 July 2011

Chilling With Khaya Dlanga



The beauty of the internet and twitter in particular is that it has provided us with easier access to people who we admire and have a like-minded view on life to. The curse of twitter is that we assume that we know people based on their tweets. Khaya Dlanga is someone I'm bound to retweet at least a few times a day. We have only recently been acquaintances and have already had some great conversations. I personally would like to know a bit more about the man... he's showing Tibz love.


How are you, baba?
I'm sick. How are you? 

What are you currently reading and would you recommend it?
I am reading Long Walk To Freedom again. I try to read it once a year before his birthday, every year. I highly recommend it. 

What inspires you to write?
I don't know. I don't know if I'm inspired as opposed I just write because I must. You can't wait for inspiration. You have to chase it and beat it to submission.

Any of your literature in the works?
I plead the 5th. 

You tweet a great deal about politics, ever considered going into politics?
No. Politics is not something I think of going into, I'm far too inappropriate to be a politician. I don't think one has to be a politician to be interested in politics. Politics affects every single aspect of our lives, therefore I find it strange when people say they are not interested in politics. It is politics that affects the economy, it is politics that affects whether you are allowed to drink in a certain place or not. We need to be interested in politics. It's not hip, but it's important.

You really miss President Thabo Mbeki don't you?
I don't think I'm the only one. I think some of the very people who had a hand in kicking him out are missing him now. I think we also knew what his presidency stood for, it stood for things like the African Renaissance. Africa can solve its own problems. It stood for black economic empowerment and as he would say, and so forth and so forth.

How great is his loss, is there a particular sector that you think feels it the most?
I don't think he is lost. To quote my main man Jesus in Luke 4 as he got kicked out of his own hometown, "A prophet is never welcome in his own hometown." Now Mbeki is no Jesus and no prophet, but he wasn't welcome here, or some may say, he over stayed his welcome. Truth is Africa is using him and page upon page of African history now has his name. The latest page now is the formation of South Sudan, thanks to his work. But we have to be careful not to think that we need just one person, there are others who maybe needed for him to go so that they can rise. When Mandela left, some wondered what would happen. Well, he left nothing. We just carried on. Other talents were recognised.  

In your opinion, what are those under 23 generally interested in?
I'd say they are more interested in what they can do with the money they get. This is understandable, they have just started working and all they want to do is to enjoy themselves. They have been studying all their lives, it's time now for some freedom. It's parties that seem to interest some. However this does not mean they are not interested in the future. They want to make a difference as well, but at this point, they don't know how. They will figure it out. I always that "just because you haven't done anything with your life doesn't mean you're not going to do anything with it."

Is our Youth League in touch with the youth?
I am not so sure. 

What music do you play in your car?
I play a lot of hip-hop.

Ever hit another car while tweeting?
I don't tweet and drive. I tweet at a red light though. 

Why is twitter important?
I think what people chose to use it for is important. It exposes people who might not have been recognised by the main stream media for their talents.

Will twitter be relevant in two years?
I am no prophet. I'll stay away from this one. But I suspect it will be. 

What do you do for a living?
 I am Senior Communications Manager at Coca-Cola. I look after all of the advertising across all 26 brands.
     
Apparently chicks dig you?
Don't believe every retweet. Lol!

Please follow me?
But I do nje. 

1 comment: