Monday 25 July 2011

CHILLING WITH NONI GASA





Noni Gasa (28). TV personality, fashion journo, stylist, lecturer and serial "most stylish" award winner :-)

How are you?

How am I? Well, I don't know, you tell me. How do I look?!

Where are you from?

Just about every corner of KwaZulu-Natal, spanning eMahlabathini to eMaphumulo, eMpangeni right through to Durban (or is that eDebhen?), and now living in Jo’burg, of course.

What keeps a roof over your head?

God, and secondly, getting paid to do what I love: fashion journalism, consulting, lecturing and a bit of TV presenting when it interests me.

Has fashion always been your passion?

Well, my interests are media in general. I started off as a journalist for Media 24 magazines in 2004 before moving over to Conde Nast, publishers of GLAMOUR and GQ, in 2008. I honestly landed in fashion by default and not by design (no pun intended.). It was the synchronicity of the writing, the clothing line I had at Legit, some best-dressed awards and a stroke of pure luck that made it all come together under this broad "fashion" umbrella. But don't be mistaken: it's never been about the fabulosity and air kisses for me. It's purely business.




What is it that you love about modelling?

Funny, I get that all the time. A lot of people seem to think I am or have been a model, but really, I've never been a professional model before! Sadly, I wouldn't qualify even if I tried - I'm all of 1.67m! Every shoot, every catwalk appearance or model-like thing I've ever done has always been in my capacity as a public personality. It's either I'm advertising a product, endorsing a campaign or being featured in a magazine. But thanks anyway, I take it as a compliment.



Word is you actually teach fashion?

Yes, I study and lecture at LISOF in Rosebank and Hatfield, Pretoria. I take the second-year students for a subject called Fashion Media Studies. It includes a diverse range of things like fashion PR, catwalk reporting, blogging, film and fashion advertising. I'm almost two years deep and still loving it! My students make it worthwhile.

In the creative sector, people don't view school as important, what's your take?

There's no formula for success, no. I know tons of people who went on to become big names without obtaining tertiary qualifications. But I wasn't that lucky, and I sure wasn't that smart! I've always believed in having a reliable tool kit: a set of formal skills and an academic foundation which would properly equip me. I come from a scholastic family where reading lay at the centre of our universe, whether it was reading the Bible or daily newspapers. I vividly recall the day my dad banned us from watching telly in the early '90s (to be precise, he walked in on a kissing scene in Santa Barbara and, well, nuff said.) Being the disciplinarian that he was, he made me narrate Wilbur Smith's 500+ page "Rage" to him every evening for several weeks, and by the end of that, I loved reading so much that I was starting to buy my own stash!
 
Formal education was simply a way of life for us, it's just what was expected. Even as I grew older and "earned" the right to make my own choices, I stayed self-motivated to keep studying, and by the end of that, I loved reading so much that I started doing it voluntarily! I'm completing my second degree now, and fuckin' hell ... I'm wrestling a thesis that's kicking my ass! But books are cool, man. Nerds are the new black! I'll keep studying. If not for bragging rights, then to feed my curiosity, jog my brain cells and to simply avoid having dumbass kids. Geeky is the new black!

There has been a recent boom in local street wear brands, think this will last?

The streets will outlive the brands, that’s for sure. We’re yet to see which new brands will stand the test of time and live to see a Centenary à la Converse, Superga, Levi's etc. Personally, I think a boom is great! [It's] a positive sign of growth and increased accessibility. You can never have too many players in the game - each talks to a different market, has a unique identity, personality and ethos. And besides, commercial competition is to the consumer's gain: more choice, less price.


What's the next big trend in ladies fashion?

Coral is HUGE this summer! Get yourself one or two salmon pink items and/or soft accessories in coral hues. Old Westerns are also the inspiration behind the denim shirt, studs, suede and fringe/tassel trend. If it's a dress, make sure it has a '60s swing! And I spoke to a fashion editor friend of mine at one of the local mags yesterday, and she tells me that 'colour blocking' is still big next season. Yay!

What items do all men need to have?

Good skincare products, a decent luggage set, at least two different colognes, a classic big face leather watch, and I'm a sucker for fresh 'tighty whiteys'. Wardrobe essentials: a black or camel trench coat, quality black leather shoes (not 'ama kick and bhoboza'), thin-sole lace-up sneakers (the kind that look like shoes), tons of plain AND plaid cotton shirts, vintage-style tees, a couple of golf shirts (for lazy days), wool V-neck cardigans (a must!), a slim-fit tailored suit, scarves (skinny silks or chunky wools), and unassuming accessories like quality belts and shades that don't scream!

Err, did I leave anything out?

Any plans for your own clothing label?

Yes, you'll be the first to know when it launches. It'll be very different to anything I've done before, but yeah, beeg tings a'gwaan.

So you're on twitter now? Please follow me?

See, THIS is why it took me so goddamn long to get on! you asking me to stalk you? Ok ke, if you insist.

What has been your most memorable styling job?

Wow, there are really too many to mention, and memorable for very different reasons! Last year I styled a cosmetics commercial where I had to foot a R4000 bill for damaged clothes. That's sometimes the risk of the job. And recently, I did Judith Sephuma's new album cover and sleeve, where I commissioned a top florist (Franz Grabe) to make her three dresses using live flowers. That was really challenging: fitting the garments, handling them with caution, spraying the flowers with water to keep them fresh, and then chucking the entire wardrobe in the bin afterwards! The results were awesome, though, well worth the trouble! You should get a copy. Yo, and are you going to let me style AKA's next video or what?

 * Follow Noni on twitter: @NoniGasa.

At the time of going to print Ms Gasa had not yet tweeted. Nevertheless, follow her to be the first in line ("coming soon", she promised!) *sigh* fashionably late... naturally.

1 comment:

  1. I love Noni Gasa, she is my fashion icon, actually she's just my icon! Such grace, elegance, intelligence.......I can go all day about her. Groupie and proud!!

    Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete