Friday 15 July 2011

Smoke Good


Cigars are seen as one of those tools cats use to floss... You see a dude with a fat Cuban in his mouth puffing away in VIP and it's either for you or it isn't.

Truth is, stogies have nothing to do with flossing, in fact most of the dudes I see smoking always end up choking their lungs out looking ridiculous and cracking me up because they're clearly not used to it.

I also see dudes sharing their cigars... Please stop it. Cigars are not to be shared, they are to be savoured by individuals... Please stop asking to have a puff of mine... it's not blunt... Stop it!

Clubs have actually become some of the worst places to enjoy a smoke. Government legislation  and it's restrictions have forced us to smoke outside or in a crowded, minute space filled with cigarette smoke... Not cool. The smell of "Craven A" and "Courtley" diminishes the great aroma of cigar.

I for one prefer to smoke in my house after a meal, while writing or reading. You do get the odd spaces like, "The Library" at the Melrose Arch Hotel, "Da Vinci" in Sandton City or "Southern Sun" in Hyde Park are great places to enjoy a smoke in public.

A lot of smokers seem to enjoy Cohibas, I find them a bit harsh... my personal favourite is a Partagas Serie D No.4... The No.5 used be the one but I can't seem to find it anymore.

A glass of Shiraz or vodka compliment it well. Most smokers prefer a malt whisky or cognac but my pallet gave up on those sometime ago.

If you going to smoke at home, I suggest you invest in a humidor. JJ Cale sells well-priced ones. If you take care of it, your cigars can last up to a year. Ensure they maintain some moisture and never go dry. A good test is rubbing it between your fingers near your ear... You can hear if it's getting dry and too hard.

Try to avoid using a lighter, use matches and don't puff on it like it's hubbly bubbly... Savour it... Make it last... Enjoy it.

Smoke good.

1 comment: